The weather is beautiful and it’s time to kick off the weekend plans! The first step to a great weekend often starts with breakfast or brunch out, take the time away from dishes and support some of your favorites.
We have compiled a list of a few of our favorites to share with you for this weekend whether you’re heading to the trails or parking it on the couch.
- ) Flapjack’s – Certainly a local favorite among many, the Flapjacks breakfast locations sustain many empty bellies and have restaurants spread all over town. Their breakfast scrambles never disappoint. For less than $9 you get an enormous skillet with a side of pancakes (phenomenal) or toast. They even stay open until 3 or 4pm daily for late brunch cravings. Flapjack’s is a top choice for cozy, consistent & tasty breakfast.
- ) Kolache Factory – Based in Katy, Texas – a true Czech Kolache capital, these handheld stuffed yeast dough delights are not to be missed. The dough and multitude of filling options are amazing and worth the drive to the northside. Be sure to get there early for the best selection – think donuts but fewer shops (there are only 2 in Indy – 96th and 116th). The flavor of the month is currently chorizo and egg, don’t trample each other.
- ) Biscuits – If you’re looking for a diner/Mexican food combo restaurant that also serves great breakfast food, look no further. Known for their chilaquiles on the breakfast menu, this Broad Ripple gem is simple and not trying to be fancy. You can order American fare or phenomenal Mexican favorites until 9pm. We recommend the huevos rancheros and chorizo biscuits and gravy. An added bonus to this spot is quick access to the Monon just 10 feet from the front door. Sometimes you have to walk it off..
- ) Maxine’s Chicken & Waffles – This gem has the slogan “taste of love in every bite” and we believe it. Maxine’s menu items are delicious and stand alone in the Indianapolis brunch scene. Maxine’s welcomes your table with corn cakes and peach butter, what else do you need to know? The salmon croquettes with aioli, fried green tomatoes and chicken & waffles are extraordinary. Next time you are passing through downtown be sure to stop at Maxine’s.
- ) First Watch – If health is a primary concern for your breakfast adventures, try the tasty options at First Watch. This chain has moved it’s way into Indianapolis with 4 current locations. They have fresh pressed juices, a calming atmosphere and strong coffee. We recommend their breakfast tacos, power bowls & seasonal menu – currently they are offering matcha latte pancakes and chicken chimichurri hash.
What are your local favorites for a great breakfast?